The inaugural Blackheath Bonza Bake-off is a new fundraiser produced by the Blackheath Rhododendron Festival Committee to help fund the Festival. For the first time, folks showcase their baking skills on a day that we’re sure will make a fantastic regular addition to our fundraising calendar.
DATE AND VENUE
The event will be held on Sunday 7 June at Blackheath Golf Club on Brightlands Avenue.
ENTRY FEES AND TOKENS
- $10 to enter one category – buys you six tokens that can be exchanged for baked entries after judging is complete and winners announced.
- $5 per additional category.
$6 – buys you six tokens that can be exchanged for baked entries after judging is complete and winners announced.
Children (under 16)
Further tokens will be available on the day so you can indulge in the many delightful treats we’re sure we’ll see in the competition. Tokens will not be exchanged for cash at the end of the day.
Entry fees are not refundable.
Please pay your total entry fee by bank deposit and include your surname and 'BO' in the description (eg BO_Smith).
Blackheath Rhododendron Festival
BSB 633 000
Account No. 165 618 075
First, second and third place in each category will be awarded our exclusive Bake-off winners’ pendant and certificate and, best of all, bragging rights.
People’s Choice – based on appearance and flavour, is judged by attendees who use their tokens to sample the entries. The winner receives a fabulous bespoke Bonza Bake-off apron – and bigger bragging rights.
Best in Show gets biggest bragging rights (of course) and will receive a one-of-a-kind Bonza Bake-off apron and winners' pendant and certificate.
- Entries will not be identified by name to ensure integrity and transparency in judging.
- Your entries will be assigned a number which will not be revealed until the results of the judging are announced.
- All decisions by judges are final and correspondence will not be entered into.
- The highest possible score will be 20/20.
- A group of judges – headed by a Country Women’s Association official – will each be assigned categories to judge.
- The head judge will determine Best in Show from the first place winner of each category.
- Category judges will be announced on the day.
- The winner of the Professional category is ineligible to win Best in Show.
Up to five points will be awarded for each of the following four categories:
There are over 100 different types of bread, any of which can be your entry.
Butter, sponge, cheese, chocolate…the list is endless and delicious.
From the Latin meaning 'twice baked', a biscuit is much firmer than a cookie and usually smaller; it might contain, for example, currents, be two pressed together with a filling, or topped with icing or chocolate. It is reasonable to assume that most biscuits can be dipped in tea.
Caramel? Vanilla? Coconut? Date? Bring us your best – there are thousands of options.
We’re accepting the widest range for this category. Enter your best chutney, confit, conserve, fruit butter, fruit curd, fruit spread, jam, jelly and marmalade.
There are five basic types of pastry:
The Irene Reid Memorial Scone Gong
We are pleased to introduce the very special Irene Reid Memorial Scone Gong to honour the memory and many years of contribution to the Blackheath community by Irene Reid. Who doesn’t love a scone? Enter your best! Note: For judging purposes, you must enter at least seven scones.
People are increasingly moving away from consuming animal products – and our vegan friends adapt conventional baking to produce delicious results.
Here’s your chance to wow the crowd with your best gluten-free treat.
Kids and parents, bake something together – this is your category!
If you’re a current or former cook, chef, baker, or owner of an outlet selling baked goods, you must enter the professional category.
If your entry didn’t quite come out looking top notch – but still tastes like posh nosh – you’re a wooden spoon entrant. Important! This category can only be entered on the day and entering this category automatically withdraws you from the category into which you originally entered.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE DAY
9.30–11.30am – Delivery of entries. To avoid a last minute rush of deliveries please ensure you deliver your entry at the assigned times as listed below:
- 9.30–10am – Biscuits, Slices, Gluten free, Vegan, Fruit preserves.
- 10–10.30am – Cakes, Breads and Family
- 10.30–11am – Scones and Pastries
- 11–11.30 – Professional
If you entering the Wooden Spoon category, please deliver it at the the allotted time (eg Cake = 10–10.30am).
11.30am–1pm – Judging (no peeking!)
1pm – Winners announced
READY TO REGISTER? PROCEED TO THE REGISTRATION FORM